Adam Mickiewicz University in Poznań
Faculty of Political Science and Journalism
and The Center for European Studies and
have the honor to invite you to the
19th International Academic Conference
in a series
EUROPE OF THE 21ST CENTURY
Internal and External Boundaries of the European Union
February 7-8, 2019, Collegium Polonicum, Słubice
On behalf of the organizers, namely the Faculty of Political Science and Journalism at Adam Mickiewicz University in Poznań, Centre for Research and European Education and Collegium Polonicum in Słubice, we would like to extend an invitation to participate in an international conference devoted to European issues. The conference participants will involve scholars representing academic and research centers in Poland and abroad, journalists, politicians and other experts interested in European integration.
The 19th conference organized in the “Europe of the 21st Century” series, which is to take place on February 7-8, 2019, will endeavor to identify and assess the significance of the determinants – in particular the present and future threats – of the peaceful and harmonious development of Europe, the European Union and its member states. This will provide a foundation for conclusions and forecasts that – if implemented – will help overcome crises and foster rapid future development. The conference will thereby provide a platform for an exchange of opinions and views, for the presentation of the results of studies into the contemporary problems of the Old Continent, and in particular into the phenomena and processes that influence the current condition and quality of different dimensions of social life in Europe. In particular, the conference will attempt to explore the following:
- the old and new, internal and external political, economic, social, cultural, mental and other boundaries, as well as their specificity
- the historical and contemporary factors determining duration of existing boundaries and the emergence of the new boundaries (Brexit, migration crisis, indebtedness, rising extremist social movements, etc.);
- the influence such boundaries have on the situation of Europe, the European Union and its member states;
- the trends in shaping the borders, possible ways to overcome them, as well as the impact on the future of the European integration process;
- the effects of the EU policy in minimizing European divisions, including in the fifteen-year perspective of the Central-Eastern Enlargement of the EU;
- threats to the development of Europe, and especially of the European Union, rooted in the neighborhood of Europe (the Middle East, North Africa, post-soviet states);
- the importance of EU cooperation with neighboring countries (such as the US, Canada, Russia, Central Asia, other post-soviet states, China and Turkey) to ensure proper development conditions;
- the role of the mass media in the dissemination of the idea of European integration and cooperation, as well as eliminating prejudices, stereotypes and overcoming crisis situations;
- the possible, and desirable, directions of changes in the EU’s legal and institutional system in the face of new challenges, and the resulting tasks to be performed by politicians, scholars, media and journalists;
- useful academic categories and methods applied in studies on the topics related to this conference.
The language of the conference is Polish. Speeches delivered during the plenary session and the discussion will be simultaneously translated into English. The conference agenda also includes discussion panels in English and Russian. The conference organizers will provide participants with accommodation and refreshments, and an opportunity to publish papers approved for print by reviewers.
You are kindly requested to fill in the conference participation application forms online, on the conference website http://europa21.edu.pl/ (tab: Formularz zgłoszeniowy) by December 21, 2018.
The conference fee is PLN 450.00 payable by transfer to the bank account no PL77 1090 1362 0000 0000 3601 7903 (the title of the transfer should read: “K00000185 + participant’s first and last name”) by January 21, 2019.
The conference agenda, details of travel to Słubice and accommodation will be sent by January 30, 2019.
Prof. Tadeusz Wallas, PhD, DLitt
Faculty of Political Science and Journalism
Prof. Andrzej Stelmach, PhD, DLitt
Centre for Research and European Education
Prof. Magdalena Musiał-Karg, PhD, DLitt
Organizational Committee of the “Europe of the 21st Century” Conference
- Prof. Tadeusz Wallas, PhD, DLitt – President
- Prof. Magdalena Musiał-Karg, PhD, DLitt – Vice President
- Prof. Łukasz Donaj, PhD, DLitt
- Cezary Trosiak, PhD
Conference Secretarial Office:
- Krzysztof Duda, PhD
- Natalia Pastucha-Kalla, MA